My friend Anna, who also happens to be the unofficial heartbeat of the SQL program, likes to start each Space Quest League message with the same sentiment: “Calling all data pros!”
Well we asked. And you answered.
Mission 3 was amazing. We saw the highest number of participants out of any of our previous missions, and we were thrilled by the positive response of the community both online and at live events. As a self–proclaimed data nerd myself, I looked back at this mission data to see if I could concoct a reasonable hypothesis to support the results of the increased engagement. Being data-driven isn’t a choice, it’s a lifestyle.
Mission 3 Highlights
- Technical Challenges: I made the first technical challenge back in Mission 2 hoping that it would put a smile on someone’s face after (or during) their workday. I’m so thrilled that they were requested again in Mission 3, and I enjoyed building out challenges that build upon each other and really acted together as puzzle pieces for the complete picture.
- Trino Birthday: On August 8th, 2022, the coolest holiday of the decade happened and we got to celebrate Trino’s 10th birthday in typical Space Quest League fashion with T-shirts and Technical Challenges! We created a special Trino Birthday SQL Challenge series to highlight this momentous occasion.
- Weekly Data Wordles: A timeless Space Quest League classic, the weekly data wordles are a fan favorite since they are such a unique way to test your knowledge.
- Trino Birthday Rewind: We felt like the Trino birthday celebration should be more than just a week of celebration, so we created a special technical challenge in the form of a mystery. Using SQL clues, our players tried to reveal the correct customer identity of Commander Bun Bun.
Of course, we need to call out the amazing commitment to doing well in the community. Starburst has donated $10 for every valid contestant in Mission 1 and 2 to two charities supporting Ukraine. The Mission 1 contestants voted to send $5,000 to the Starburst for Ukraine Moneybox. The Mission 2 contestants voted to send $5,000 to the Polish Humanitarian Action. Mission 3 contestants still have to vote, but we’re pleased to announce we’ll be donating an additional $5,500.
Looking Towards Mission 4
You know how on The Bachelor, or really any popular TV series, they say each new season is “The most dramatic season ever before”. We all groan, but in the end, most of the time it ends up being true. Well just like I said last mission, I’m confident that Mission 4 is really the best mission yet. We’re mixing it up this mission. Instead of one winner, we have six. We will have drawings every two weeks. That means you have to keep playing throughout the entire mission because that could be the difference in snagging one of these awesome prize boxes.
Our prizes include:
- YubiKey 5 NFC
- MetaQuest 2
- International Space Station Lego Set
- The Oura Ring
- A Surprise Golden Ticket!
Here’s the dates for each drawing:
- October 21, 2022
- November 4, 2022
- November 18, 2022
- December 2, 2022
- December 16, 2022
- January 2, 2022
To enter Mission 4, go to starburst.io/sweepstakes and start competing in challenges to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome Data Nerd Boxes. The first winner will be announced on October 21st, 2022 so enter now to access the quests that will test your data skills!
Space Quest League: An Opportunity to Give Back
By participating in SQL, you’re not only entering for a chance to win great prizes but also playing for a cause. The League includes a charitable component where Starburst gives back. During the first Mission, Starburst donated $5,000 to a charity supporting Ukrainian refugees. For the remainder of the Missions, we will donate $1 per valid contestant (up to $95,000) to a charity that will be determined over the course of the year.
How to Enter and Participate
Entering is simple, visit our website to get started! Here, you’ll find the sweepstakes details, rules, and entry form for each Mission. Don’t forget, you only need to enter each Mission once, but keep an eye out for additional challenges to rack up more stars and increase your chances of winning the ultimate prize!
Enter now for a chance to win. Good luck and I hope to see you on the leaderboard!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. The Starburst Space Quest League Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (and the District of Columbia) and the United Kingdom who are at least twenty-one (21) years old and a data professional at the time of entry. Sweepstakes starts on October 1, 2022 at 12:01 a.m. ET / 1 October 2022 at 6:01 a.m. GMT and ends on December 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. ET / 1 January 2022 at 5:59 a.m. GMT. For entry and Official Rules visit to starburst.io/sweepstakes. Void where prohibited. Sponsored by Starburst Data, Inc., 177 Huntington Ave Ste 1703, PMB 82089, Boston, Massachusetts 02115.